Salut!

Welcome to my little blog!

I hope you like it, and I hope you come back really soon to visit - and share with your friends, if you'd like.

Enjoy!

Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Travel and Shopping

As you all know, I'm a small-town girl from Atlantic Canada, and there's not a lot of great shopping here. That's one of the biggest reasons I love to travel - shopping somewhere new! My family and I are going to the States to shop for a week, and I couldn't be more excited.

I love travelling, especially to somewhere noticeably different from my hometown. I went to Europe with my class May of 2011, and I was just in awe of the different cultures, scenery, history... everything! Going to the states can't possibly match up to that, but I'm hoping I'll stumble across a great vintage boutique, or maybe even designer outlets having a sale. That would be amazing.
My family’s going to Maine and New Hampshire, which I’m looking forward to. I know Bangor, ME, has some great shopping, and I’m hoping to find some great deals. I love vintage-inspired clothes, lace and pretty, feminine details, and I’m hoping to find something really beautiful.

One city I'd really love to shop in is New York, New York, the shopping capital of the USA! I would love to shop at Tiffany's, Bloomingdale's, Barneys', and Saks Fifth Avenue.
I think if I went to New York City, I’d mostly want to get some really great, designer shoes that are – most importantly – super comfortable. Or maybe a couple of pretty, light cashmere tees or sweaters for fall? That would be my budget goal for the Big Apple.

Okay, I'll admit I'm not as fashionista as I sound. I actually had to Google shopping in New York to finish writing this post. But, I am excited to go shopping in New York and London (again) someday, so I decided to write this to get some advice on where to go.

When I went to Europe in the ninth grade, we passed dozens of famous fashion houses. It was incredible! We didn't get to stop at any of them, but just passing them seemed kind of crazy and exotic. I mean, the fanciest store we have here is Laura and Le Chateau, so driving past the world's biggest Louis Vuitton in Paris, France was insane.

The shopping in Europe was absolutely fantastic! I loved walking the streets with my friends, seeing all of the high-fashion shops and boutiques. A friend of mine bought a beautiful raincoat, and I got a cashmere cardigan in Scotland, for half price! I love shopping, and Europe is one of the best places in the world to shop.

I'll never forget how many street vendors we met in France! There were watches, and lighters, and especially art prints and key chains. One guy even put a bracelet on my wrist and then made me pay for it! He held the nail clippers he was using up to the skin on my finger - which scared the crap out of me - before he cut the bracelet off, so I paid him just so I could get away. Guess I over-reacted, huh? But it was pretty scary, and I was a little sleep-deprived.

While we were in France, we also saw the Eiffel Tower, which is absolutely beautiful, although I wouldn't recommend going on a Friday night! There were so many people on the tower, I got a little claustrophobic and ended up hiding behind a poster board display in a corner. I'll admit it was a little awful. But the view was totally worth it.

My boyfriend and I took the stairs and the elevator all the way to the top floor, and even though the crowds and the feeling of being about to fall 1,050 feet to your death were terrifying, I ended up loving it.

But I wasn't the only one who had some trouble enjoying the view, as it happened. One of my good friends ended up with heat stroke, and didn't even get to go up. It was a sin, and she was sick the rest of the trip.

Another friend of mine, who's afraid of heights, got really dizzy and sick about halfway to the top and had to turn around. My boyfriend and I met her on our way down, and I thought she was gonna pass out in the elevator! I think it was scarier for me than for her, but eventually we got to the bottom, and everyone was okay.

So now you’ve heard some of my travel and shopping experiences, and now I wanna hear some of yours! Where do you love to shop, and what for? Where have you traveled to, and what’s your dream destination? Do you have any travel horror stories? Let me know in the comments!

xoxo,
Jay ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment to let me know what you're thinking - what do you want to see on Almost Anonymous?