Salut!

Welcome to my little blog!

I hope you like it, and I hope you come back really soon to visit - and share with your friends, if you'd like.

Enjoy!

Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Driving up Mt Washington

So today, my family decided that, since we're in New Hampshire, we should drive up Mount Washington, which is the highest point in New England. Talk about terrifying.

When we got to the bottom, we realised that there's a huge fee to drive to the top - it came to $49 for my family of four. Yikes. You burn about that much in gas just trying to get there and back! But, you do get a cool bumper sticker (if you like that sort of thing) and a CD tour guide. So I guess it's sort of worth it?

So we pop in the CD and take off up the mountain - at about 25MPH, in low gear, which is very important, apparently. It was nice at first, just driving up a bit of a steep hill. But, the road is only eight miles long, which works out to about 12.9km. Now, bear in mind that this mountain is about 6,288 feet or 10119.56 kilometres high, and we only drove 12.9km. It was really, really steep.

But the view was totally worth it! To be so high up in the cold, clear air and look down at the foothills, and the ski hill across the valley... it was incredible. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's visiting, or even lives in, New Hampshire. It's just incredible.

From up that high, everything looks kinda blue, and the clouds leave big puffy shadows on different parts of the mountain.. it's beautiful. We also saw lots of hikers - it's a four hour climb to the top, and then you can wait in line to take a picture at the very tip - which just looks like a pile of rocks with a signpost stuck in it, by the by.

Not gonna lie, though, I got altitude sickness. I was faint and a bit nauseated, especially in the cafe and giftshop. On top of that, I was feeling pretty ill when I woke up this morning. I was not a happy camper!

I think our truck had a harder time coping than I did, though. We had some transmission problems on the way up, and the whole truck shook and groaned, and the gears were grinding... It was terrifying! I thought we were gonna fall off the face of the mountain. But we didn't, and the ride down was a million times easier. Thank God!

Now that we're at a normal elevation, the truck is still having some troubles. Hopefully it'll be okay for the drive home!

On a happier note, my boyfriend and I are celebrating our third "aniversary" (can you call it that if you're not married?) in about three and a half weeks! I can't believe that he stuck with me for so long, but we're happy together. I'm a little head-over-heals for him....:)

I dunno what we're gonna do, we're probably just gonna lay around and watch movies at my house. It'll be fun, whatever it is.

And now, before I forget - My Disney of the Day nonsense! Fun, fun. My song of the day is "A Girl Worth Fighting For" from Mulan, and my character is Aladdin. I've always had a bit of a crush on him. But ah well.

xoxo,
Jay



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment to let me know what you're thinking - what do you want to see on Almost Anonymous?